Rim Ed Grants
The teachers in the Rim of the World Unified School District are given the opportunity each year to apply for a Rim Ed Grant. We give away one Gold ($5,000), two Silver ($2,500), and as many Bronze ($1,000) as we can fund. The teachers fill out a grant application, which is then scored by our board members. Grant recipients are notified in June if they are awarded a grant. The teachers have been purchasing many different educational tools such as iPads, computers, science programs, math programs, and language arts programs to support our students in meeting state standards. We are very proud of the amount of grants we have funded over the years and our ability to help our teachers meet student needs!
Congratulations to the 2015-2016 Grant Recipients!!!!
- Gold Grant – Karen Wirtz from Lake Arrowhead Elementary – Project: Interactive Lesson Design, SMART Interactive Panel to help 125 third grade students (especially English Learners and Title 1) using a four-teacher team to provide digital resources and lesson plans to increase student engagement, student achievement and student motivation $4,883.
- Silver Grant – Tim West / MPH Leadership Team from Mary Putman Henck Intermediate School – Project: Promoting Home/School Communication and Personal Responsibility of Middle School Students Through Use of Daily Planner/Reminder Binders, purchase of daily planners and student handbooks for 900 6th, 7th, and 8th graders to record important information that will foster success . Teachers and parents use written communications throughout the year. $2,889.
- Silver Grant – Carla Malagoli-Vitti from Rim High School – Project: Cooking to Learn, 11 special education students grades 9-12 will learn cooking skills integrated into existing comprehensive functional academics curriculum by purchasing a gas range for cooking and curriculum (Money Match, Cooking to Learn, PCI Photo Bingo) $1,330.
- Bronze Grant – Mary Pat Schuster from Mary Putman Henck Intermediate School – Project: Advancement of MPH Chess Club, promoting chess as a learning game of though, manners, rules and etiquette with a goal of cooperation and competing in a first competition in Spring 2017 for 90 students – $452.
- Bronze Grant -Cindi Longworth from Rim High School – Project: Reading for Understanding Class,the program will encompass reader’s theater, vocabulary games, annotation workshops and basic reading skills workshops including main idea and inference, potentially for all grade levels and all students $295.
- Bronze Grant -Cindi Longworth from Rim High School – Project: Writing Center, offer all RHS students a place to review their essays and research papers for global issues such as format and content to increase writing success and improve confidence across the curriculum $890.
- Bronze Grant -Annette Bain from Rim High School – Project: French Camp, send six RHS students in French 2 and 3 classes to attend a language immersion camp where they speak only in French, sing, dance, cook, eat meals, play games, arts and crafts and perform sketches in the target language. Funds partial payment of camp expenses $999.
- Bronze Grant-Maggie Kauffman – from Charles Hoffman Elementary – Project: Odyssey of the Mind, provide the Odyssey of the Mind program for opportunities to increase student creativity to solve a long-term problem. Three teams of 7 students each from grades 3-5 will build mechanical devices, props, or present original interpretations of classical themes $955.
Total Grants Awarded-$12,693